Leap is retail-as-a-service for select consumer brands. We provide end-to-end turnkey development and operations of brick and mortar retail stores; all fully customizable and delivered as an integrated component of an omnichannel brand strategy. Leap’s unique model de-risks and accelerates the scaling of profitable retail strategies that work in concert with their e-commerce customer experiences. Brand stores *powered by Leap* deliver outstanding customer experience and powerful insights that enable emerging brands to grow and innovate more quickly and more profitably, with significantly less risk. We are led by serial entrepreneurs and retail experts backed by industry veterans. In our first two years, Leap has grown to operate stores across 6 markets for 10 different brands, with net growth in 2020, and is positioned to grow rapidly in 2021 and beyond.
About the role:
Leap is looking for a Sr. Associate, Business Development who can drive new business through the deal funnel and execute priority growth initiatives while helping scale the overall organization. This individual will serve as a key face of the company in the market, working to generate new opportunities with highly desirable brands and driving new customers through the funnel, from exploratory qualification to negotiating and signing. The role provides a unique opportunity to evaluate and partner with the leading brands of tomorrow – emerging consumer brands with compelling value propositions and passionate followers in a range of categories (i.e. apparel, fashion, home goods, beauty and more) - while also learning how high-growth venture-backed businesses are built by working from a multifaceted growth position within the organization.
This individual will partner with our Real Estate and Brand Management teams to grow the number of stores on the Leap platform across new markets while pitching new prospective customers, underwriting and negotiating deals through the funnel, and managing pipeline development. Additionally, this individual will work on key developmental projects to build the Business Development flywheel of the organization and be positioned to take on a more significant growth role after 12-24 months. To succeed, this individual will need strong customer-facing and project management skills, while working dynamically with a range of both internal and external stakeholders. You’ll be thrown into executive conversations with hundreds of leading, modern retail companies + landlords while quickly being seen as an innovator and thought leader in the industry. This is the right role for an entrepreneurial, strategic thinker with previous success driving results and demonstrating creativity, innovation, and collaboration, who likes to lead from the front lines and fundamentally understands demand generation, and has the desire to play a critical role in building a high growth Platform company.
- Support the Business Development process – manage and progress qualified opportunities through the deal funnel from pitching to negotiating to contracting, serving as a key point person for Leap along the way
- Unlock new opportunities and markets by collaborating cross-functionally with our Real Estate and Growth teams to ensure brands are paired to and proposed the best fit locations while supporting the overall development of Leap’s new market strategy
- Strategically driving new opportunities through each stage of the funnel and identifying and implementing new ways to win deals with quality targets
- Support strategic demand generation workflows and modeling of new stores through workflows such as the creation of new store proposals and illustrative economic models, screening and scoring new potential customers, store location sell-in and contracting, and pipeline analysis
- In partnership with the Marketing team, develop and iterate sales pitch materials to support demand pipeline opportunities including Leap’s Intro Deck, follow-up materials, industry partner presentations, etc.
- Identify current gaps in demand workflows and processes while working autonomously to optimize growth across individual accounts and Leap’s broader pipeline
- As a key member of the team, you'll also identify opportunities to scale our current operations - your feedback and new ideas will be valued and have the opportunity to be implemented into every facet of the business.
Our ideal candidate has:
- At least 2-3 years of Business Development, Real Estate Sales, venture startup, consulting, strategic finance, or other context of high-stakes external facing experience in a target-driven environment
- Entrepreneurial mindset and working style – self-starting, highly accountable, strong ability to anticipate problems and define and implement effective solutions; strong desire to win; high output
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills as well as proficient hard skills in Powerpoint and Excel (i.e. able to get into an economic model or create a pitch deck without guidance)
- At least an intermediate understanding of emerging retail brands and/or the real estate industry
- High-degree of intellectual curiosity with exceptional work ethic, attention-to-detail and a can-do/will-do attitude.
- Strong business acumen, coupled with strategic sales and/or analysis experience
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving startup working environment
Outcomes & measures of success:
- Effectively and efficiently seed, develop, and land new commercial relationships with target brands translating to the successful execution of incremental stores on the Leap Platform
- Track to reach new store opening goals on a quarterly basis while contributing to growing the footprint of the Platform across new markets
- Significant contributions to the development of the organizational structure of the Growth team and ability to successfully align new brand demand with real estate supply at scale
- Successfully represent Leap as the leading “Retail-as-a-Service” Platform in the marketplace amongst brands, industry partners, and peers
- Contribution to the development of a team-oriented high-performance culture within the company