Site Reliability Engineer
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Leap is building the world's largest network of branded retail stores – powered by data, systems, and scale. The Leap Platform enables brands to deploy stores that work in concert with ecommerce more rapidly and at significantly reduced cost and risk. Brand stores powered by Leap bring modern brands to life with compelling, immersive customer experience and data driven operations. At Leap, our diverse, growing team is excited by the opportunity to power the next generation of leading consumer brands with a vibrant presence in local communities throughout the country. We're one of the fastest growing companies in the retail/ecommerce space - since launch we've powered stores for dozens of brands, and we're adding more brands and stores each week.
Our brand customers are modern brands who lead or aspire to lead their categories today and tomorrow, and *outstanding* people are literally at the core of our product. Our organization is composed of a diverse range of talented individuals and teams. With functions like Real Estate, Store Design & Development, Retail Operations, Marketing, Engineering, Product Management and Data Science, we're a truly unique company and our shared ambitions and core values tightly align and drive us to succeed.
Our staff are what make our organization so special and honoring our culture and values as we hire, onboard, engage, develop and support our teams is paramount.
Come take this leap with us. Your ideas, thinking, and voice are wanted.
Mission for the position:
As Leap’s first dedicated Site Reliability Engineer, you'll be responsible for keeping Leap’s shopper-facing, brand-facing, and employee-facing systems running smoothly as we rapidly scale up every aspect of the platform. You’re pragmatic and know how to work around constraints, but you’re also deeply dedicated to building systems that truly scale. You also know that a system isn’t truly scalable unless it’s easy to work on, maintain, and measure.
At Leap, SREs work as part of the Platform Team, along with fellow software developers who also care about SRE concerns. As a group, you’ll work closely with product managers and engineers from other teams to bring an SRE mindset to Leap’s product designs and rollouts.
- Share on-call rotations to respond to availability incidents
- Build upon our existing Terraform / GCP infrastructure
- Write and maintain clear, shared runbooks
- Introduce new technology and tools when appropriate
- Automate the deployment and delivery processes
- Be encouraging, supportive, kind, fun, sensitive, honest, a great teacher, and above all, a great student
- Define and manage dashboards, monitors, and alerts
Competencies for Success:
- Three years+ full-time Software Engineering or SRE work experience and familiarity with modern practices
- Experience with Linux and the shell
- Strong programming skills such as in Python and/or Go
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Compute and cloud infrastructure
- Experience developing with Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, or similar technologies
- Almost-compulsive need to organize and clarify
- Humility and high aptitude for learning and self-improvement
- High level of comfort working along a dynamic and evolving roadmap
- Innately curious, wants to understand all parts of Leap’s business, encourages innovation and creative problem solving with others
- Entrepreneurial mindset and working style - self-starting, highly accountable, ability to anticipate problems and define and implement effective solutions
Outcomes & measures of success:
- Reduced incident and outage counts and severity levels
- Delivery of new infrastructure-level capabilities (like new environments or pipelines)
- Increased speed of developer onboarding
- Delivery of new product-level capabilities (via infrastructure support)
- Level up junior engineers through pairing, guidance and mentorship.
However you identify, whatever your path to get here; Leap celebrates diversity and is committed to maintaining a safe, rewarding and inclusive environment where Leapers thrive individually and as a team.
In order to achieve our mission, building the world's largest network of branded retail stores – powered by data, systems and scale; we need to work hard to foster a diverse community to support the brands and customers we serve. These aren't just words, this is who we are. We know that our differences are what make our organization special and are paramount to our culture. Your age, skin color, beliefs, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, parental status, vet status, gender identity are valued.