- Chicago, IL
- Full Time
Leap is building the world's largest network of branded retail stores – powered by data, systems and scale. The Leap Platform enables brands to deploy stores that work in concert with ecommerce more rapidly and at significantly reduced cost and risk. Brand stores powered by Leap bring modern brands to life with compelling, immersive customer experience and data driven operations. At Leap, our diverse, growing team is excited by the opportunity to power the next generation of leading consumer brands with a vibrant presence in local communities throughout the country. We're one of the fastest growing companies in the retail/ecommerce space - since launch we've powered stores for dozens of brands, and we're adding more brands and stores each week.
In 2021, just our third full calendar year in business, we grew 4x+ by every measure and have entered 2022 with 50 stores open and 30 brands active on our platform (500+ brands registered), a team of 300+, and poised to grow another 5x in the near term. The year ahead promises to be even more exciting, with new platform capabilities launching, an ambitious revenue plan and expansion of our operations and customer base across existing and new markets, and our recently announced $50 million Series B funding round in hand.
Our brand customers are modern brands who lead or aspire to lead their categories today and tomorrow, and *outstanding* people are literally at the core of our product. Our organization is composed of a diverse range of talented individuals and teams. With functions like Real Estate, Store Design & Development, Retail Operations, Marketing, Engineering, Product Management and Data Science, we're a unique company. Our shared ambitions and core values tightly align and drive us to succeed. Our staff are what make our organization so special and honoring our culture and values as we hire, onboard, engage, develop and support our teams is paramount. Come take this leap with us. Your ideas, thinking, and voice are wanted.
About the role:
We’re in search of a Vice President / Senior Vice President of Finance who will work closely with members of the executive team including our Co-CEOs, VP Accounting & Finance, and other key stakeholders to build teams, processes and systems that support and scale with our rapidly growing business.
As our business has grown we have envisioned ways in which our Finance, Accounting and other “under the hood” functions can evolve and enable the business with enhanced data-driven decision making capabilities and more efficient operations. This role would be suited for an Finance professional with strong business acumen, solid management and leadership skills, and operating + systems development experience, particularly within tech/software-enabled B2B platform and consumer businesses, who thrives when working on a combination of continuous improvement and novel challenges in a high growth, dynamic environment.
Mission for the position:
The Vice President / Senior Vice President of Finance will lead, drive and develop a range of Finance capabilities in support of the growth and evolution of the Leap platform – the people, processes and systems capabilities that we and our brand customers utilize on a day to day basis – with a particular focus on capital efficiency and infusing financial amnd economic analysis into decision making and evergreen performance optimization efforts throughout the organization.
In our current phase of growth and beyond, the Finance leader, in partnership with the VP Accounting & Finance, will build, develop and lead Finance and Accounting function-level teams, and play a key role in support of our Technology and BizOps teams in the development and procurement/implementation of scale enabling systems, e.g. finance & accounting data management, process automation and business performance optimization systems and tools.
Additionally, the Finance leader will serve as key thought partner on overall company strategy, operational strategy and planning, product and go to market strategy, capital formation initiatives and related key strategic initiatives.
Key responsibilities: Build, lead and manage the Finance functions of the business including people, processes and systems.
- Build high performing teams that support existing and future business needs across FP&A and other Finance functions
- Lead, manage, mentor and coach individual team members with cultural awareness, inclusion and empathy
- Lead and drive development of core processes, systems and tools, for financial planning, analysis and reporting, and commercial finance functions, which support day to day decision making and help accelerate healthy growth
- Core financial planning & analysis, growth and business/commercial operations and performance optimization
- Support of the development of groups/functions throughout the organization e.g. BD/Sales; Real Estate & Store Development; Retail Operations; Merchandising and Marketing; Customer Success; People & Culture, et al with financial planning and analysis, program and ad hoc economic analysis, etc.
- In partnership with our Co-CEOs, help to drive and support capital formation initiatives e.g. equity and debt financings and stakeholder management
Key competencies & attributes desired:
- Bachelor's degree and 8-10+ years of finance/accounting experience, including:
- Experience supporting and leading strategic capital allocation planning and steering and commercial operations within high growth businesses, ideally tech-enabled platform businesses in the B2B and consumer spaces (e.g. consumer retail and/or ecomm enablement or related fields)
- Experience operating and managing in high growth company environment
- Experience with capital transactions i.e. equity and debt financing, and stakeholder management stakeholder relationships i.e. board/investors and banks
- Proven track record of success building diverse, high-performing teams
- Strong ability to empower smarter business decisions by synthesizing financial and other data into strategically relevant distilled “stories” (i.e. key trends and prevailing theme)
- Strong understanding of and skill in financial modeling and analysis and GAAP accounting incl. standards and best practices for lease accounting and retail/commerce and service business related topics
- Exceptional attention to detail + ability to operate “in the weeds” while maintaining sight of the big picture
- Humility and high aptitude for learning and self-improvement
- High level of comfort working in a dynamic and evolving environment
- Entrepreneurial mindset and working style - self-starting, highly accountable, ability to anticipate problems and define and implement effective solutions, desire to win
- Innately curious, wants to understand all parts of the business while encouraging innovation and creative problem solving
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Outcomes & measures of success:
- Successful development and continuous improvement of a range of finance and accounting people/teams, processes and systems, in accordance with company overall strategy and vision
- Successful cross-functional collaboration with senior leadership peers and others throughout the organization
- Contributions to company culture and embodiment of our shared core values (i.e. leadership by example)
Leap EEO statement
"However you identify, whatever your path to get here; Leap celebrates diversity and is committed to maintaining a safe, rewarding and inclusive environment where Leapers thrive individually and as a team.
In order to achieve our mission, building the world's largest network of branded retail stores – powered by data, systems and scale; we need to work hard to foster a diverse community to support the brands and customers we serve. These aren't just words, this is who we are. We know that our differences are what make our organization special and are paramount to our culture. Your age, skin color, beliefs, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, parental status, vet status, gender identity are valued."